The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires that all bloggers disclose when they are getting paid for posts and/or receive free products that they are reviewing. They require disclosures to help build a level of transparency between bloggers and readers. Not disclosing actions like being paid for posts or using affiliate links is considered deceptive.
Here’s what a disclosure looks like:
Disclosure: This TravelSmart Woman post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.
Why is it important to include a disclosure?
- TravelSmart Woman sometimes accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Our primary form of making money is via affiliate links. By doing this, we can avoid ugly advertising on the website.
- Some links in my posts are affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Amazon Associates, Allianz Travel, eBags, Etsy, eat with, Tilley, and Viator. Not every link is an affiliate link; some are links to external resources and references.
- I never promote items I don’t like. I only recommend products that I really like; that I use or would use myself; and that I think might be a worthwhile investment of your time and money. If I don’t like something, I will either tell you or I won’t even mention it.
- Sponsored posts are those posts where someone is paying me to write about a specific topic. When or if I write a sponsored post, it will be clearly marked as being paid content.
- TravelSmart Woman adheres to word-of-mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics, or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space, or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
- The views and opinions expressed on this blog are solely mine. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
- I never publish any content which might present a conflict of interest.
One last thing: TravelSmart Woman is written and edited by me, Suzanne Ball. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at Suzanne@TravelSmartWoman.com.